Is visiting the acclaimed Walla Walla wine country in Washington State on your bucket list? How about if you combine it with one of the best travel writers conferences on the continent?
You are invited to Travel & Words 2016, the Northwest’s premier conference for travel and lifestyle writers. Travel & Words 2016 will be held in Walla Walla, Washington, on May 16 and 17 at The Marcus Whitman, one of the Northwest’s historic grand hotels.
Register for Travel and Words 2016 by January 31 for a discounted early registration fee of $99 (20% discount). Sign up for the conference and find out about special lodging rates at The Marcus Whitman here. Register today, before available spots fill up.
1. KEYNOTE SPEAKER: PETER FISH, Travel Editor, SUNSET MAGAZINE
What makes a good travel writer (and how to become one)?
For thirty years a travel writer and editor for Sunset Magazine, Peter Fish will share a few secrets of his success and also a few of his most humiliating failures.
2. Editors Panel: Discover current travel publishing trends and what editors are looking for from freelance writers.
- Robert Stieve, Editor in Chief, ARIZONA HIGHWAYS
- Teresa Kenney, Editor, NORTHWEST MEETINGS & EVENTS
- Dale Miller, Editor in Chief, BRITISH COLUMBIA MAGAZINE, CANADIAN TRAVELER & EXPLORER MAGAZINE
3. Destination Marketers Panel: Destination Marketing Organizations (DMO) and Convention & Visitors Bureaus are a freelancers allies. Learn what they can do for you and what they expect from you.
4. Destination Exhibits and Presentations: by 20 key CVBs & DMO’s from the Northwest (U.S. and Canada), with opportunities for writers to network, discuss familiarization (FAM) trips and gain dozens of story ideas.
5. WORKSHOP INTENSIVES: Your choice of two workshops presented by industry pros (sign up at conference registration, no additional fee). Full descriptions of the 2016 Workshop Intensives are here.
- How to be the Best Freelancer an Editor has Ever Worked With, by Dale Miller, Editor in Chief, British Columbia Magazine, Canadian Traveller, Explorer Magazine
- Editor’s Writing Tune-up, by Allen Cox, Editor in Chief, Northwest Travel & Life, Northwest Tastemaker; Vice President of International Food, Wine & Travel Writers Association
- Breaking into Meeting & Events Publications, by Teresa Kenney, Editor, Northwest Meetings & Events
- Creating Killer Pitches, by Bobbie Hasselbring, award-winning travel & food writer, book author, Editor in Chief of RealFoodTraveler.com
- Social Media Strategies for Travel Writers, by Mattie John Bamman, Editor of Portland Eater, freelance writer
- Industry Tips from a Veteran Travel Writer, by Sue Frause, freelance writer and talk show host
The Networking Mixer: Unwind with editors and destination marketers in an informal setting while sampling Walla Walla wines and gourmet bites by the culinary team at The Marc. The mixer will be held off site at the Gesa Power House Theatre.
FAM: An opportunity to be selected for a post-conference all-expenses-paid familiarization tour hosted by Visit Walla Walla. Choose from 3 FAM tracks: culinary, wine or recreation. Instructions for applying are here.
Door Prizes: Bring your business cards to toss in the bowl for fabulous door prizes.
Travel & Words is not affiliated with IFWTWA.
by Allen Cox