The International Food, Wine & Travel Writers Association publishes a high-quality quarterly digital magazine, FWT Magazine, as well as the regular FWT Magazine blog.
We welcome contributions to both the magazine and blog.
**Only regular members of IFWTWA may submit content.**
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE FOR MAGAZINE AND BLOG CONTRIBUTORS
Here’s a step-by-step guide to submitting an article to either the magazine or blog. If you get stuck or have a question, you’re welcome to email the FWT Magazine editorial team.
Step 1: READ THE MAGAZINE AND BLOG
Get familiar with the format, tone, style and length of articles. You’ll see our magazine articles are full-sized features, while our blog articles are often lists of things to do, reviews and shorter travel stories and interviews.
Step 2: UPLOAD CONTENT TO WORDPRESS
To contribute to both the magazine and blog, you’ll need to upload content to WordPress. New to WordPress? Watch this three-minute video for an overview of how to post content and check out the WordPress tips below.
Step 3: UPLOAD ONLY HIGH-QUALITY ORIGINAL CONTENT
This rule goes for both the magazine and the blog. We’re after original stories that deliver a great read and copy that’s error free. Proofread (at least twice) and you’re good to go!
Step 4: DOUBLE-CHECK WORD COUNT
The word count is 800 – 1,400 words for magazine features and up to 700 words for blog posts.
Step 5: INCLUDE HYPERLINKS AT THE END OF YOUR ARTICLE
We like to provide our readers with information about how they can plan a similar travel experience to the one you’ve written about. So, please add an “If You Go” or “Resources” section to the end of your article outlining your best planning tips with active hyperlinks.
Step 6: ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR HOST
Please acknowledge your host at the end of any article featuring sponsored products and/or travel experiences. A simple statement is fine.
Step 7. UPDATE YOUR BIO WITH GRAVATAR
Having a 50 word (max) bio and photo is mandatory – and it’s easy to set up using a Gravatar account.
Step 8: CHOOSE ONLY YOUR BEST IMAGES
We’re after your best high-quality photos (nothing blurry!). Choose at least one portrait-sized image for all blog and digital magazine articles. Choose no more than 5 images for blog articles and 5 – 8 images for magazine articles.
Step 9: UPLOAD IMAGES
Upload your photos at the end of your article (you no longer need to place them within the copy). Upload low-res photos only (we prefer that you resize them to 72 dpi – 1000 pixels wide). We’ll get back to you if we need higher-res images.
Step 10: CAPTION ALL IMAGES
All photos need a caption for SEO. Here’s how to write one for either the magazine or blog … Italian spaghetti made by Chef Gorgonzola © Jimmy Jamieson.
Step 11: BE CLEAR ABOUT COPYRIGHT
Please make sure all photos (or video clips for the blog) submitted are either yours or photos you have permission to use.
Step 12: CHECK DEADLINES
FWT Magazine is published March 22, June 21, September 21 and December 22 every year (the beginning of each season). Deadlines for articles are four weeks prior to each publication date. There are no deadlines for blog articles.
Step 13: SAVE YOUR ARTICLE
Until you’ve finished proofing, tweaking and perfecting your article, save it as a draft. When your article is ready for the editors, select the “pending review” tab in the status drop down menu. Then, that’s it. Finished. Finito. Done!
TIPS ON USING WORDPRESS AND SUBMITTING ARTICLES
The following tips cover the main dos and don’ts for all FWT Magazine and blog content. Use these tips as your guide.
If you get stuck, don’t hesitate to email the FWT Magazine editorial team. We’re here to help.
- Headings: start with your article’s keywords and use capital letters, eg, an article about New York cafes needs a heading like: New York Cafes: 5 Best Places for Coffee.
- Subheadings: use H2 subheadings to break up large chunks of text and make your article easy to read online. Where relevant, add keywords to your subheadings for SEO.
- Font: please stick with the standard paragraph font.
- Categories: select the category for your article. For magazine articles, select FWT Magazine and the edition you want it to appear in, eg, FWT Magazine, Issue 7: Spring 2017. For blog articles, select FWT Magazine Blog and ONE of the following categories: Food, Gear, Travel or Wine & Spirits.
- Italics: use for foreign words and terms.
- Tags: use four to six keywords or phrases referenced in your article for SEO.
- Alt text: all photos need alt text featuring your keywords for SEO. A simple description is fine.
- Featured image: Always choose a strong landscape image as your featured image.
- Snippet: Don’t forget to add a snippet (it’s the brief meta description people see next to the link to your article when searching online), eg, US travel writer Kurt Jacobson heads to New Zealand’s Wairarapa region to visit Ata Rangi – one of the country’s best wineries located in Martinborough.
- SEO: Want a quick, easy read about SEO? Our own IFWTWA member and Social Media Director Mary Farah (Lansing) has six tips to share.