FWT Magazine Blog Submission Guidelines
The FWT Magazine Blog contains content created by regular members of the International Food, Wine and Travel Writers Association (IFWTWA). This global network of more than 400 members are journalists, bloggers, freelance writers and writer/photographers who uncover the amazing experiences of food, wine and travel around the world.
Associate Members may not contribute content to the FWT Magazine Blog but are encouraged to advertise on the website.
Learn more about becoming a member of IFWTWA.
IFWTWA Members, please visit our New Authors page to register to become a contributor.
Blog Submission Guidelines
- The FWT Magazine Blog accepts blog articles on a range of topics. Please see below for details and requirements, also review earlier blog articles to familiarize yourself with the type of content we publish.
- All blog articles submitted must be original content and may not have been previously published on any platform, including personal blogs.
- Contributors must have full rights to content and photos submitted. We will not accept stock photos or Creative Commons photos. All photos must be high quality and include proper captions and attribution.
- Spell check, proofread and fact check your blog article before submitting, and verify all hyperlinks are working properly. Our blog manager will only do a minimum of proofing and editing; too many errors will result in your article being returned or rejected. FWT Magazine’s editorial staff uses The Associated Press Stylebook as a guide for editing.
- As a contributor, you will be expected to share your blog article content across your social media platforms (ideally more than once). It is everyone’s responsibility to help grow the FWT Magazine audience.
- When you are ready to post your content, please read and follow the step-by-step directions below.
Blog Article Requirements
Word Count: Blog articles should be between 300-700 words in length.
Deadline: There is no deadline for blog articles.
- Top 10 Beaches in Mexico.
- 5 Ways to Save on Airfares.
- Things to Do in Paris, where the piece is about a few different things to do from a local’s perspective and focused on what to do/see rather than a piece about the place.
- Interviews with a chef, sommelier and people associated with the food, wine and travel industries.
- Mini-reviews of associated books, gear and products.
- Short reviews of restaurants, resorts and hotels.
- At least two to four good-quality photos (blurry or out-of-focus photos will be rejected, similarly images that are too small or that can’t be viewed as full-sized images will not be accepted).
- At least one landscape-oriented photo (for use as the Featured Image).
- At least one portrait-oriented photo.
- Contributors must have publication rights for all photos.
- All photos should feature a caption and indicate who owns the image (review past blog articles to see how photo captioning is formatted).
Note: by submitting your photos, contributors give permission for the FWT Magazine staff to use your photos for promotional purposes and on social media.
Please do not include self-promotion such as links to your blog or website in your blog article. But do please ensure your profile is up-to-date and is no more than 50 words maximum.
Also, the FWT Magazine blog uses Gravatar to populate its profile photos. If you do not have a Gravatar account, sign up for one here.
Posting a New Blog Article
If you’re new to WordPress, here’s a short video that will give you an overview of how to post blog content. Please take three minutes to watch it.
- Click on Post > Add New
- Enter your blog article’s Title in the top field. Capitalize the first letter of each word.
- Type (or copy and paste) your article into the field below the title. Do not include a byline in the text of your article, this will automatically populate based on the text you entered in your User Profile Biography. Do not put any other text in this section other than the content of your article, as anything in this section will publish and be visible to all readers.
- Where possible include one internal and one external link in the text of your article. Links must be an actual clickable link and not a typed URL. To create links, use the Insert link icon in the editing header – it looks like a paperclip.
- Select the categories for your blog article in the right hand column. Ensure that you select Blog in addition to the topic (food, wine, travel or gear). Categories correspond to the menu on the front end of the site so choose carefully.
- Enter tags in the right hand column. Tags are keywords or phrases and are very important for Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Normally, four to six key phrases are enough. They should be phrases that are in your article: city, restaurant name, event name, etc. Choose the most important and enter them separated by commas, then click Add.
- Save your article.
Click Save as Draft if you plan to continue working on the article.
Click Submit for Pending when you are finished working on the article and it is ready for the editors to review.
- Naming photos. Having all photos named consistently helps us with social media posts, so please take a few minutes to name your photos as follows: TITLE: FWTBLOG- + Submission date- + last name
- Upload your photos. Click the Add Media tab below the title bar. The Insert Media screen opens. Click Upload Files and select your files to upload. Click the x in the top right corner to close the window. Do not click Insert into Post as you will do this in the next step.
- Insert your photos into your blog article. You must insert a full-width photo after the first paragraph. Insert your cursor in the space between paragraph one and paragraph two and click Add Media. Select Media Library and you should see your bank of photos. Select the one photo to insert in this paragraph. Complete the sections in the right-hand column to include a caption and alt text. Ensure that you include a descriptive caption and photo attribution. Alt text is a short descriptor of the photo. This is also very important for SEO. Your article will not be published without this. Click full size. Place the photo by clicking Insert into Post.
- Continue this process for all photos. At any time, you can edit the title, caption, alt text or size of the photo by hovering over it in your post and click the pen edit button. Make sure you click Update after making any changes.
- Choose Set Featured Image. Select one of your photos that will show in the slide show on the home page and as your thumbnail in the menus.
- Save your article. Click Save as Draft if you plan to continue working on the article.
Submit for Review
- Click the Preview tab at the top of the page to make sure everything looks the way you want it to. Ensure that paragraph spacing and photo placement is correct and professional.
- When you are finished working on the article and it is ready for the editors to review, use the Status drop-down menu to select Pending Review and click OK. The editors will take it from here. You will be notified by email whether or not the FWT Magazine Blog Manager has accepted your article for publication in the FWT Magazine Blog.
Still have questions? Contact the editors.
Register as a Contributor
IFWTWA Members, please visit our New Authors page to register to be a contributor.